THE Colours are the symbol and emblem of that loyalty, duty and affection we owe to our King— our Country and our Regiment.
The King’s Colour is the symbol of the Sovereign, and the Regimental Colour is the emblem of the Soul of the Regiment.
The Colours stand for the fair name of the Regiment, and for the glorious deeds of those who have served with it in the past. It is the solemn duty of all to strive always to add to the good name of the Regiment, and to avoid doing anything which might in any way tarnish its hard-earned laurels.
From the Short History of the Royal Sussex Regiment 1701-1926 – Published by Gale & Polden 1927
Colours of the 1st Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment.
Presented to 35th Foot at Meerut (India), December 26th, 1859, by Lady Canning, wife of the Governor-General of India.
These Colours were borne by the 1st Battalion until 1927.
Colours of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment. Presented to the 107th Foot at Allahabad (India), January 12th, 1865, by His Excellency Sir Hugh Rose, K.C.B., Commander-in-Chief in India. These Colours were borne by the 2nd Battalion until June 27th ,1924. They were “laid up” in St. George’s Chapel, in Chichester Cathedral, October 2nd, 1924.
Both the above pictures are reproduced from “A Short Record of the Royal Sussex Regiment from 1701-1905”.
Printed by Waterlow & Sons Limited, 1905.
Colours presented to the 1st Battalion in 1927.
Reproduced from the Short History of the Royal Sussex Regiment 1701-1926 – Published by Gale & Polden 1927
Colours presented to the 2nd Battalion on 27th June 1924, at Tanglin Barracks, Singapore,
by His Excellency the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir L. Guillemard, K.C.B., K.C.M.G.,
in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief.